My mom had been feeling ill since Saturday night and thought she had a bit of the stomach flu. Her stomach pain continued to increase until it was nearly unbearable on Monday. Finally we tried to go to an immediate care doctor, but it was 730pm and nobody would see her that late. So, we ended up at the hospital. She said she felt silly being at the hospital for the flu, but it turned out to be a good thing because we soon learned it was appendicitis. In just a few hours they did a CAT scan and diagnosed her with a ruptured appendix and said she had to have surgery that evening. She went into surgery that night which went very smoothly. To our surprise, she was allowed to leave the hospital the next day. She is recovering quite well and should be just fine in a couple weeks.
It was quite a miracle that I happened to be in San Francisco at the time this happened and I was able to take care of her. Another odd coincidence is that American Airlines cancelled thousands of flights in the past few days and mine was probably one of them. I could have been stuck in an airport while my mom was in the hospital under the knife!
I talked to Raquel today and of course she understood the situation. She said it would be best for me to come for the next term which begins June 2. I will probably go in the last 2 weeks of May so I have time to find an apartment and meet with the professors. It's a little disappointing that I am not in Iquitos at this moment and I'm sorry for changing my schedule on everyone that was expecting me. I'm definitely missing the tropical weather and food, not to mention the people. I suppose California sun will have to do for now (it's better than Portland gloom). All of these unexpected events collided and worked this way for a reason.
Now I've moved away from friends, I'm unemployed, out of school and have a month of vacation in San Francisco. I desperately need to find activities to fill my time...I think I will be doing a lot of yoga, dog walking, and dreaming about Iquitos.
1 comment:
Kimmy my best to your mom, glad you were there to take her to the hospital...She can be stubborn :)
Love
Dave
Post a Comment