23 March 2008

compartmentalized life

Today Keith and I began packing our things into boxes. While Keith packed his things loosely, secure enough to survive a short drive to Corvallis, I packed mine knowing I won't see them again for several months. The realization of the near future finally began to set in today while I was struck with the heaviness of the moment. Obama was in Portland yesterday and he was all over the newspapers I used to pack my dishes. The history of this week will be chronicled in my boxes for me to read when I return to the states. By then it will be near election time!

There were some emotional moments when I ran across sentimental things. It's difficult deciding which things are "important" enough to keep. Keith and I are trying to sell as much furniture as possible and only keep the things that cannot be replaced. Tomorrow I will begin deciding what to take to Peru--probably just clothes and books. I'm trying not to be so attached to material things as they are not nearly as important as the adventure on which I am about to embark.

I was excited today to receive an email from Raquel Moscoso, the former director of the Foreign Languages Center who coordinated our capstone class in Iquitos, that clarified my upcoming work for UNAP. I will be assisting in conversation classes of the first and third level English students. One of the classes will be with two professors that I met in December. After I am in Iquitos for a bit, they would like me to teach ballet classes as well! We will see how that goes given my limited Spanish...

I'm a little anxious about how everything will happen in the first couple of weeks since I am usually a very organized person that has everything planned in advance. As of now, I have no place to live and I still don't know what my daily schedule will be. Tomorrow it will be 3 months since I was last in Iquitos and only 15 days until my return!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kimmy,
I have placed your blog at the top of my Yahoo page with an RSS.
Have fun, be safe

Love
Dave
(the other one:))

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for your trip, actually I like to called it your new life experience. I must also admit that I am a little jealous that you can't back me up in your suitcase so I can come with! love ya, Kelly

Anonymous said...

Bowimmy! Just wanted to say good luck on your new adventure! I think what you are doing is great and will be a huge experience in your life. Don't be scared my dear....you have more guts then 99% of others for going. My mom asked about you the other day and I said you were doing good and that your new adventure was taking place. She thought it was neat and wished you the best of luck! If you ever need anything just call me. Topher....