30 May 2008

yay for bacteria!

Well Raquel and Jheam took me to the doctor this morning. The doctor just asked me a few questions and then felt my belly and listened to it while making a "que mal" face. He said I have a bacterial infection and so I have 3 different kinds of pills to take for 5 days plus some electrolyte drink. I really hope it works because I´m worried that it might not be simple bacteria, but Giardia. Though I guess I´m not the doctor and shouldn´t diagnose myself.

Classes start Monday and Raquel said that I don´t need to be at every class meeting, just one day per week per class. I´m not really sure WHY, since it seems that I should know what happens in class. Everything is a little fuzzy so I´m anxious to get started and see how it will work. She asked me if I would like to teach some private lessons to a couple doctors that are trying to pass the TOEFL exam so they can get an advanced degree. This is almost more nervewracking than teaching to a large class. I´m going with her to the lesson tomorrow to see if it´s something I would like to do. (Jheam told me that an assistant here ends up being a place for the profs to dump their work and said I will probably be teaching classes alone..I don´t know if I can handle that).

So far I feel like I´m just living daily life very very slowly and to be honest it´s a little boring without close friends and family around. I´m also nervous about beginning work in the classes. I´m not very confident in my ability as a teacher because that wasn´t my university training! Not only do I have to learn to navigate the differences of an education system in a new country, but I also have to try my hand at a job for which I have no preparation.

Anyway, I´m taking it one day at a time. Actually now I´m taking it one hour at a time with my stomach.

Things I miss already:

family, the dogs

lattes

my job (you don´t realize how much you value routine until your life is turned upside down)

Portland

being able to drive



Things I´m enjoying about Iquitos:

"If not today, tomorrow (or the next day...or the next day) is just as good" attitude

the sound of the rain at night

genuinely friendly people

the break in the day for HUGE $3 lunches

moto heaven

No comments: